There are unique situations that require the help of others to get through difficult times.  Veterans often need assistance with housing for a variety of reasons,homelessness,job loss,health considerations etc.  Help is available.

HUD_VASH Voucher

If you are currently a low-income veteran,your local Veterans Administration office can refer you to a local Housing and Urban Development office where you can get  a HUD_VASH Voucher. The Department of Housing and Urban Development – VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program is a joint effort between HUD and VA to move Veterans and their families out of homelessness and into permanent housing. HUD provides housing assistance through its Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) that allows homeless Veterans to rent privately owned housing. VA offers eligible homeless Veterans clinical and supportive services through its health care system across the 50 states,the District of Columbia,Puerto Rico and Guam.

For eligibility,criteria see

Free Housing for families of Wounded Warriors: The Fisher House Foundation

The Fisher House Foundation prides itself on “Providing a “home away from home” for military families to be close to a loved one during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury”. The Foundation currently operates 57 houses nationwide in support of our wounded warriors.  In 2011, they provided housing for over 17,000 families. There is at least one Fisher house at every major military medical center to assist families in need and to ensure that they are provided with the comforts of home in a supportive environment. They are there to help.

The Special Pension for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance

The Special Pension for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance is a long-term care benefit available to veterans and their spouses.  The benefit pays up to $1,949 a month toward assisted living, nursing homes or home care for veterans over 65 who served during wartime for a period of no less than 90 days. Eligibility must be proven by filing the proper Veterans Application for Pension or Compensation. (Form 21-534 surviving spouse) (Form 21-526 Veteran.).  An excellent resource for help with understanding and obtaining this benefit can be found through an organization called,

Go to to view our job openings and join our LinkedIn group, Veterans Hiring Solutions for Veterans and Companies at If you have specific questions about issues affecting you, your benefits, your dependents etc., feel free to send them to me personally and I will try to help you. If you have questions about compensation and disability benefits or VA health care benefits, ask the First Sergeant at [email protected].