u s  navy  sea


Your military record, awards, and decorations are an important part of your military history. Replacing lost military records for many service members is critical  in obtaining your VA benefits etc.

The most often requested is a copy of the DD-214, or proof of military service. If you lose your DD-214 or do not have a copy, you should make the effort to get a copy as soon as possible as it can make benefits, the G. I. Bill and possibly medical benefits available to you.

You may request your records online at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/.

The basic information required is:

  • The veteran’s complete name used while in service
  • Service number
  • Social security number
  • Branch of service
  • Dates of service
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
  • All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.
  • If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

Other military records are maintained at the National Archives in St. Louis, MO.

You can request a copy of your records online, or by mail or fax. Be sure to sign and date your request.

NPRC Mailing Address and contact info:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
NPRC Phone Number:314-801-0800
NPRC Fax Number: 314-801-9195

For more details see Ryan Guia’s article at MilitaryWallet.com.

Go to www.TADPGS.com, click on the “Looking for People” tab, then view “Veterans Solutions” to see more for information on our Veterans Solutions for Employers. Please join our LinkedIn group, Veterans Hiring Solutions for Veterans at http://linkd.in/Sg346w. If you have specific questions about hiring veterans or the incentives for doing so, contact me at [email protected].