Want a second career in Information Technology or Operations but not sure where to start? The Veterans’ Technology Program at Syracuse University is an online training program for veterans transitioning from the military to corporate careers. It is delivered at no-cost to the veteran; participants do not need to use their benefits to participate as it is paid for in entirety by a generous grant from JP Morgan Chase & Co. We are currently ramping up for the October ’13 session (application deadline is September 9th).
The program is delivered entirely online and runs between 6 and 15 weeks, depending on the goals and interests of the participant. It consists of 3 non-credit certificates from Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies. Veterans can participate in just one certificate or all three, again depending on specific goals and interests.
- “Career Skills for Global Enterprises”, delivers training on the professional (or “soft”) skills necessary to get and grow a career. This includes resume and cover letter writing (with feedback to the students from our advising staff), elevator pitches, interviewing skills, navigating the corporate environment, etc…
- “Microsoft Office Fundamentals”, focuses on building the participants skills in the ever-essential Microsoft Office (2010) Suite. We do a week on Word, a week on Excel, and a week on PowerPoint and Outlook.
- In “Applied Education”, the students select a concentration of study based on interests and career goals. Where applicable, students have the opportunity to obtain associated industry certifications (we pay the exam fee). Some examples of concentrations and their associated certifications are:
- Project Management – Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), Project Management Professional (PMP) and Six Sigma Green Belt
- Network Administration – Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Database Management – Oracle 11g Administrator
- CompTIA – A+, Security +, Network+, Server+
- A complete listing is available on our webpage at http://get-vet.syr.edu/Coursework/VET3Concentrations.aspx
The Veterans’ Technology Program runs four times every year (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct). You can apply online at http://get-vet.syr.edu/Apply/ . While there is a competitive admissions process, we have a lot of seats! Requirements for admission include:
- Must have served at least one day on active duty after September 11, 2001.
- If still on active duty, must be transitioning out of the service within 12 months of the start of the session.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be able to give 20 hours per week to complete the coursework for the duration of the program.
- Must have reliable access to high-speed internet.
- Must be able to clearly demonstrate a desire to launch a career in Information Technology or Operations.
We have had service members of all ranks and educational backgrounds participate in the program, from E1’s to CW5’s to O6’s, from GED to multiple masters degrees. Check it out.
Veterans’ Technology Program
Go to www.TADPGS.com, click on the “Looking for People” tab, then view “Veterans Solutions” to see more for information on our Veterans Solutions for Employers. Please feel free to join our LinkedIn group, Veterans Hiring Solutions for Veterans and Companies at http://linkd.in/Sg346w. If you have specific questions about hiring veterans or the incentives for doing so, contact me at [email protected].