Here’s quick snapshot of news around the industry!
Around the IT Industry:
- Due the lack of qualified candidates, the tech industry may contribute $5 billion to fund STEM education in the hopes of gaining more talent. This would impact high school and even earlier – as part of I-Squared Act [Roll Call]
- IT employment has been on a steady rise for the past few years. Specifically, it has risen about 5% on a year-over-year basis [Staffing Industry Analysts]
According to Modis (our sister company):
- PC Sales Plummet: The Culprit? Windows 8.
- If You Think the IRS is Watching You, They Are.
- CISPA Passes House Committee, Heads to House for Vote
- Patent Trolls Catching Heat from New SF Startup
- Bitcoin Value Crashes After Reaching new Heights
Around the Staffing Industry:
According to Staffing Talk:
- There is now one job for every three unemployed Americans, and “retail salesperson” is the most common American job [MSN Money]
- BLS: Staffing job growth was strong in March [Staffing Today]
- Unemployment rate dropped for the wrong reason: 500,000 Americans stopped working or looking for work [USA Today]
- Temp jobs are becoming more popular as the first step in the career escalator, but beware the “temp treadmill” [Philly]
- Nearing its historical peak in U.S., the staffing industry is expected to grow 6% in both 2013 and 2014 [Staffing Industry Analysts]
- Labor department reports number of unfilled positions rises to 3.93 million – the highest number since May 2008 [Bloomberg Businessweek]
- The Conference Board Employment Trends Index signals “moderate job growth” in the coming months [Bloomberg]
- What can managers do to change a company’s culture? Follow the same rules you dish out [Boston]
- What is one company is doing to retain employees and keep them happy? Giving them a $500 monthly housing stipend to live closer to the office. Why is this working? Because it gives their employees a better work/life balance to include less commute time, the ability to walk your dog at lunch or visit a child at home. It’s worth considering. [Fistfull of Talent]
Did you find this post helpful? What would you like to see more of in future posts?